Alex leads the research project Engaging Mobility at the Future Cities Laboratory. Before, he coordinated FCL's research group Mobility and Transportation Planning and led in this role the implementation and further development of the large-scale, agent-based transport demand model MATSim Singapore. He obtained his PhD in 2011 from ETH Zürich (Swiss Federal Institute of Technology) where he studied the vulnerability of transport infrastructure. His main research interests are active mobility, the interaction between transport infrastructure and the built environment, travel behaviour, accessibility-based transport planning and multi-agent, activity-based transport demand modelling.
Alex’s current research focus lies in bridging the gap between transport modelling and urban design to facilitate the planning for active mobility. In addition, he aims for making large-scale, agent-based transport demand models such as MATSim more accessible for planning practice. The goal is to make big data generated as output of such models accessible to end users such as transport planners and operators, urban planners and other potential stakeholders. To this end he and his colleagues at FCL designed a Decision Support System combines various datasets in a spatial database which is directly connected to MATSim whereas tailored business analytic software provides user friendly analysis. His vision is to replace the current approach of separated, only periodically updated urban datasets with a living digital urban model where data sets are continuously updated and statistically enriched.
- VSS (Organisation of Swiss Road and Transport Professionals) award 2005 for best MSc thesis 2005 titled 'Value of travel times savings and location choice for shopping trips’
Exhibitions / Conferences / Events
- Eastern Asia Society for Transportation Studies Conference 2013
- LTA-UITP Singapore International Transport Congress and Exhibition 2013
- Digital Art Week Singapore 2013
- Swiss Transport Research Conference 2011/2012/2013
- International Conference of Hong Kong Society for Transportation Studies 2011/2012
- Conference of the International Association For Travel Behaviour Research 2012
- Asia-Pacific Conference on Systems Engineering 2011
- Urban Sustainability R&D Congress 2011